Monday 4 December 2017

The pen.

Dear Reader,

I was recently challenged by Kim (photographer) to do a series of black and white photos. (Long story, short...it was a meme on social media).

Well, I thought, why not share, via, these pictures, my passion for the written word and the basic tool? 


I am intrigued by how this simple object can pass on messages, tell stories from centuries ago; with it, we can share the abstract...our thoughts, ideas, things we imagine.

It's a tool that can cut away all the lies, the vile deeds of human beings and reveal the truth.  Yet, it can be used to cause pain, create fear. It can make rulers decimate millions of human beings. One signature...voops...an entire people...gone.

And in the right hands, it can heal the entire world.  

Great writers have  used it to lift our spirits...

The good men of ancient days have used it to guide us towards the better path.

Artists then, as today, have used the pen to teach us too.

The pen, you see, can be used to take us to the inner landscape of ourselves, leading us from our dark selves, to that place where we can find the light.

Dear Friends, y'see? We have been given so much to help us learn to live better lives, to be better people. We don't need more clothes, more shoes, bigger houses, faster cars.

Most of us have all we need, and can share.
xxx

8 comments:

  1. Aww go on, but new clothes are so much fun. ;)

    I use my pen to write a shopping list, how's that? :D Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey :-D

      I know you care for people in ways that many can't, and don't.

      That reminds me, I need to write a grocery list.

      Delete
  2. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword - when it is used properly.
    And yes, to your final sentence. A thousand times yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Child, like any other tool, it depends on the mind of the person wielding it.

    As for clothes, shoes, etc. My New York cousin tells me how the super-wealthy throw away stuff they've worn only once. I think of all that money that can help others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to confess I use the keyboard as the default writing tool. So much so, that on the rare occasions when I need to use a pen for writing, my handwriting has become almost completely illegible!
    However, the one place I use a pen on a daily basis is filling in Sudoku puzzles :)

    It's nice to see all your photos together. I'm planning on doing a similar thing with the ones I did for the challenge. Do check my blog in a couple of days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I was told that writers need to use pen and paper, something with connection...I need to start again.

      I'm curious to see what you have to say!!

      Delete
  5. Great photos! I love black and white photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, George. I love them too. And sepia. I think it's something to do with nostalgia.

      Delete