Saturday 5 February 2022

Once upon a girl-child...

My Dear Friends,

Le' we gyaff...let we chat. Grab some snacks and le' we sit down and gyaff.

Weeeeeeeee!!!

All-body welcome, all ages, everybody.

Y'all like being around young people? 

Had a 13  / 14 year old girl I useta tutor in English. This child got the most-est ability to enjoy life by sheself. Climb tree and stare into bird nest. Save caterpillars to be butterflies. Make bubbles in the bathroom and giggle.

Play.

How and why so many people forget to play when they grow up? Culture put spokes in we?

Nah me.

Somehow...I manage to keep the child in me dancing, curious, fixing me gaze into the grass on the roadside, into the sky, and seeing daily, routine things in a different way. 


Pregnant bed.
(I stuck  pillows between  blankets to stay warm at nights in this cold, foreign weather.)

Could be a skill I learn when I been in tv, and something I inherit from me mother...she a li'l odd, the way she does see things. (I gon tell y'all about this another day).

I got this theory:

If you can keep that child inside alive and dancin', you got a better chance to bounce back from troubles. That child is the one who chase 'way boredom, and keep you' mind from getting so hard it keep out new ideas and solutions. That child don't need cafes, restaurants, travels to fancy destinations. Even the mundane at home gon be something of interest.

Friends, I got to go cook lunch. Chomp on some snacks, stare at the ceiling and tell me 'bout them people you see dancin' up there to Afrobeats.

Plenty love, neena xxx

6 comments:

  1. My inner child is often the healthiest and happiest part of me. I cherish her - and the things she shows me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Child, that inner child of yours shines through in your photos...the sky, the flowers, the animals, the art. As for the frozen bubbles! I think of them every time it gets dreadfully cold here. Gosh, I feel so happy when I visit your blog. Thank you, thank you, say hello to that child inside for me. <3

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I have to confess, I was never really a child. Even at 6 or 7 years old I would sit in with the grown ups and join in the conversations.
    Childhood was a place where I was bullied by other children for having been born on a different bit of the island, so I couldn't wait to be an adult.
    And truth be told I was much happier in my 20s than my teens, happier in my 30s than my 20s, and happier in my 40s than my 30s.
    As for my 50s, well they seem to swing back and forth a lot, but I think overall I'm probably more content :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, in my culture, children and grownups bond daily, we're around the older folks all the time. I witnessed some stuff as a child that were frightening. But for some reason, I...many people I know...have managed to stay playful. Y'see, it's not about being a child. It's about being child-like. Seeing magic and wonder and beauty...those qualities that you show in your photos all the time. You're amazing with that camera.

      Delete
  3. That's funny I've just written a post about they way a child views life rather than an old miserable git like me.

    Enjoy your snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, you don't come across like a miserable old git! Your sense of humour shines through (even when you're not smiling). You're kind and sweet and caring. So there! :-)

      Delete