Tuesday 16 November 2021

Conversation with the Monster under the bed.

My dear Friends,

It so cold in this here part of Florider where my mother is, I hide under the bed, and even the Monster that does live there snuggle up to me to keep warm up.  Not that I can offer much body warmth, me being so small in size. You can tell how desperate for heat Monster was.

Anyway, all this closeness lead to cameraderie, and the next thing you know, me and Monster had a long and hearty discussion about climate.

I say, "Boy, this C ain't for Celcius. It is C&^U@*S*S."

Monster ask, "But what about when the weather gets hot?"

I say, "Then it is x degrees Charming. Anything below 23 is C&^U@*S*S."

Monster ask, "What do you think about the COP26 talks?"

I turn me nose up so high, I hit me head on the bed-bottom (it is a low bed we was hiding under). Monster try to console me and rub me injured head. I had to pretend to calm down real fast at that. Imagine that hand on you' head. If I did only stay upset, Monster woulda continue trying to calm me.

"Them men at COP26 is like a pack o' sweet man," I blurt out.

Monster give me a hard cut-eye...what they call "side eye" in the US. I start to shiver, wondering if Monster was getting ideas about me. 

The silence hang heavy for minutes, 'til Monster bust out, "What do you mean by sweet man? How can you call those mealy-mouthed, mincing, malingering garumphs sweet men?"

"Sweet man. Them is a pack o' sweet man," I correct Monster. "In Proper Creolese, we don't reeeeally do plural. The word before does tell you if it is one, or one more than one."

"You mean more than one," Monster say.

Shees. What a nitpicking creature. "Whatever! A sweet man is the man who does come to a woman with plenty lies. Ow dahling, how you can believe I got another woman? Babes, me sweet sapodilla-gyal, give me a li'l chuuups, a li'l kiss, nah? Look at this pretty necklace I bring for you. And the woman does believe. And all this time, the sweet man got 2, 3 woman...women...plus wife."

"Yes!! Yes!!" Monster shout-out with great excitement. "I know those sweet men! I've heard them whilst hiding under beds all over the world."

"So why you never bite they ankles, eh? Why you just stick under beds, scaring innocent women and children?"

A pause. Then out o' the blues, Monster start one weeping and wailing. Place so cold, the eye water pouring from Monster turn to ice. 

I couldn't take this nonsense anymore. I speed out from me hiding place and dive under me damp, cold blanket, which is what I shoulda do in the very first place. Y'see? That is how illogical this cold weather make me. 

I trying to dress warm and think warm thoughts. Look FIVE THINGS (idea I borrow from Joey) that cheering me.

Hat, a gift from my sister.
Scrunchie, bought from a pavement vendor in my lovely, native land.

Cousin Lis gave me these recently.

Sunlight in my mother's bedroom, in her home before she moved here.

Sunlight in my room last week.

My 10 yr. old nephew wore these twice, outgrew them.
Now, they're mine, and my feet ain't growing, thank goodness.

I got to go and cook lunch now, Friends. Stay warm and dry, and eat hearty. Plenty love, neena xx.

4 comments:

  1. We do gotta laugh, despite there being MUCH more to cry about where the environment is concerned.
    Love your description of the attendees.
    23C is the upper limit of my comfort zone though. I am happiest when the temperatures are under 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Child! You love the cold? Let's swop. Gimme the heat and I will send the cold. I love those winter bubbles you make though. I was thinking about them the other day. I might try it out one day. :-) Copycat me.

      Yes, if we don't laugh, we won't stop crying, then we won't be able to solve the problem, cos we're too busy crying.

      Delete
  2. At the weekend I was chatting to a friend in Chennai who said they had been experiencing coldness like they had never known before - 23C. They had to turn off the air conditioning and find blankets to wrap around themselves.
    23C here is a wonderful, hot, Scottish summer! Oh how I miss the few days a year when we might get such warmth. Everyone is out in shorts and t-shirts, and slathered in suncream to protect their skin from burning.
    Today is 10C, but although it isn't raining, it is damp in the air, so feels about 5 degrees colder. In-the-bones cold.
    We put the heating on a little earlier today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, your friend in Chennai is right! :-D

      I once knew this woman from Moscow, living in Guyana. She'd been there for a while. After a couple of years in Guyana, she started complaining when it got to 23C. She said it was sooooo colllllllld. hahaha. She'd gotten to love the warmth.

      I can't IMAGINE anyone thinking 23C is warm. :-D

      Who got a tan in 23C? Unimaginable.

      Delete