Sunday 21 August 2022

Listen, oh, listen....

Friends! How y'all doing? 

I been for a morning walk, facing the morning sun, and I ketch meself smiling like a fatuous fool full o' happy-feels. Nothing like post-dawn and morning breeze.

Look a video I make about breeze in me lovely native land, I hope you like. (Click on the full screen icon to read.)




And I been writing on Substack about sound around the home:

Most days, depending on where you live, you will hear:

cows

rooster

cars zooming by on the main road

truck horn

rain on the zinc roof

wheels swishing on wet road

rain pattering on the leaves of trees

neighbours squabbling in the distance

neighbour next door and his wife quarrelling

school children playing in the school yard

a mad dog barking

the ocean booming against the seawall

kiskadees chirping kisskakeeeee

chicken hawk squreeeeelling

parrots…don’t ever forget the parrots, soon o’ clock o’ morning…parrots

singing-engine kites that kite-flyers have tied to a tree or a post during kite flying season

the wind whistling tweeeeeeee February, March, April.

Best sound of all is the one we mostly never hear, the sound that streams through the grrrr and the raaah of daily living.

To hear, you must get outdoors, or sit on the platform outside your front door, or stretch out in your hammock.

Listen.

It is the sound of your little holiday. You don’t need to fly miles to a foreign land to experience it, unless you live in a desert, but I am sure that in the desert there is another sound that is just as wonderful. It is better than any food you could ever cook. In fact, it is food for your spirit. It’s a sound that’s not only for the wealthy. It’s for the poor, the humble, the aching, hungry soul too.

It’s the sound of the trees rustling in a light breeze.


Have a wonderful week, my lovely friends. Eat good food, drink good drinks. Dance li'l bit and love plenty. neena. 

6 comments:

  1. How about narrating it, Neena? Add to the richness of the words by the sounds, rhythms and inflections of the voice?
    When I read your writings, I get a sense of the way the words would sound, but I do not hear these accents very often in Scotland, so they are quite unfamiliar to me, beyond occasional characters in occasional films. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you so very much! You have no idea how much that means to me. I plan to record one day. I must get some technology and a quiet space.

      Delete
  2. I live in the country and hear the birds and lovely country sounds, but we also live near a motorway and hear the constant hum of traffic. Truthfully it's a sound I've never got used to and we've lived here for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, after we sold our family home, I moved to a little apartment even closer to the ocean...and the highway. I don't know how I managed to tune out the sound of traffic. I played music and sang, so that helped haha. But then again, our traffic is not as heavy as yours might be.

      Delete
  3. LOVE your words and your video. Keep walking, watching, listening - and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Child, thank you!!!! If only you knew how your kind words help me to feel better, feel positive.

      Delete